Four Crates: Episode One

Morning.

After going record shopping with my cousin the other weekend, I decided it was time I refined my record collection. Just in time for winter I moved my 'unsorted' crate into the lounge and started to sort through them. Fortunately or unfortunately, since I started this project I found three more crates around the house.

So I've started sorting. The rules are, if I want to keep it either has to be listenable front-to- back or I have to be able to make a beat out of one of the tracks. So, here we go...

Terry Snyder and The All Stars - Persuasive Percussion

This isn't rare by any stretch. When I just started out collecting, a guy dropped off to two boxes full of records that he'd picked up at the Salvation Army Book Fair in Whakatane. There were all sorts of gems in there, not to mention a tonne of crap. But this one I could never get rid of, mainly because of the cover. To justify keeping it, I made this beat:

Jan And Dean - The Very Best Of

I have no idea who these guys are but they sure do love covering Beach Boys songs. I'm a sucker for the Beach Boys (especially the cheese ball singles) so I had to keep this. But to make myself feel better I made this beat:






Hugo Montenegro - Hang 'Em High

My Mother used to always comment on my Grandfather's whistling. She used to say that he had the loudest whistle, but not only that, he could whistle anything. Opera tunes, old war songs, Top 40 singles. I don't know if it's from him, but I love whistling. The act of whistling is something I really enjoy but recording whistling is a pain because of the amount of wind hitting the microphone. So when I found this record that combined my love of funky Western themes and whistling I was stoked bro! No need to make a beat out of this one as it already features on 'Farewells'.

Horst Jankoswki - Return to the Black Forest

All I know about Horst Jankowski is that he is German, plays jazz piano and rocks the shit out of that coat. I've had this sitting around for a long time but had never played it. I played it the other morning while ironing shirts for work and had to stop what I was doing. This guy gets down. No need to make a beat, it's going straight in the listening shelf.

Benediction Moon

I've bought this album three times and chucked it out. The first time I got it without the cover and listened to it and hated it. The next time I had the cover and record and didn't realise it was the same one as last time. The third time I left it in my shed and didn't get it out until the other day. First off, I didn't realise this was a New Zealand record until I saw it in the NZ section at Real Groovy. Weird. I was about to chuck it out when my wife told me that I shouldn't. We never know when we might want to listen to some nice, relaxing Krishna music. I'll take her word for it.

3 comments:

  1. Ultra rare if you can believe mutant-sounds. You are in the company of Jello Biafra.
    http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/05/benediction-moon-stlp1971new-zealand.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a Persuasive Percussion record. It also has a great cover with a nerdy guy chillin with some hot broads. I could never part with it. It's reall loungy and a pretty kitsch.

    Your beat is not working for that record though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, those two comments were worth the price of admission.

    Crispy: Benediction might be rare overseas maybe? I know I've seen a few copies of it. Now I'm inspired to find a mint cover.

    -M: Nerds and broads, the cornerstone of every record cover in the 60's, right? I wonder if it's the same but with a different cover?

    Try the beat now bro. Should be behaving now.

    ReplyDelete