Nothing ventured nothing gained

Another record fair, another Lakeside album.

I had a funny feeling about selling at this record fair, the cost to sell there was high, they were charging entry for people to come in and look, and the poster was pretty terrible. Yet I didn’t act on that funny feeling. Funny that.

Those that did attend were clearly from the record collecting community, as with those who were selling. So, the sellers had little of value for the collectors, and the collectors would only pay for things priced at little value. I sold one two dollar record.

The overheard conversations were amusing, talking about who sold what for how much on trademe recently. And how so and so was a vulture that day when mr john john sold off his Columbia catalogue or some shit. I piped in at one stage of a conversation about unsuccessful sales on trademe and said “yeahhh.. but it’s only worth that much if someone is willing to pay for it” to which one response was, “never a truer word spoken” haha. Some of the pricing was pretty outrages. Being vinyl does not instantly make something worth $10.

I did get complements on my taste of music, though it was the stuff I was selling. I would’ve left the show minus forty something if it wasn’t for Oliver and Lee. It was sad to see my stuff go for so cheap but knowing these guys, it didn’t bother me too much. Thanks fallas!

I did pick up a couple of things myself:
- 2 x Delfonics 7”
- Nina Simone – Do What You Gotta Do / Aint Got No, I Got Life 7”
- Joe Tex – Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk 7”
- Musical Youth – Pass the Dutchie 7”
- Klymaxx – I Miss You / Video Kid 7”
Also two LPs:
Motion Picture Soundtrack for Wild In The Streets. Crispy King put me on to this. Not famously used in feature02's – Astral Weeks from the not famous EP u.fo.& me.f.o

  
And, much like the other record fair, another Lakeside album. This one pre Solaar label, named Fantastic Voyage. Get home after spending the first beautiful sunny day in aaages at a dark, cold and uneventful record fair where I probably made a $12 profit, put this on, and all my troubles disappeared.
“forget about your troubles and your 9 to 5 and just saiill along!”

Oh yeah.. and as I was packing up the car after the fair, a late comer pulled up beside me. I told him we'd packed up early, but he could look at my records if he liked. I asked him what he was after, to which he pretty much responded, “Well I don’t think many other people go for what I go for. Have you heard of Klymaxx?” After some more talking, I established he was in the market for some of that sweet sweet 80s garbage. Looks like there’s some competition now!

1 comment:

  1. The whole vibe of the record fair was a bit depressing. At least you got some good stuff.

    I came home from the fair and by chance discovered a new (to me) mpfree blog (http://www.funkmysoul.gr/?p=3451) with an entry for Lakeside's Fantastic Voyage - cosmic messages from out there somewhere...

    ReplyDelete