Hills & Dales IV

So in my mind the record shopping day trip was over and all was well in the world. I was running a few errands around town and my wife asked if I could drop some things off at the Salvation Army store.

This is no problem, I've done it before. You drive to the back of the store, open your boot and yell out "Coooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and a whole bunch of Salvation Soldiers scurry out and sort through your junk. This time around I was lifting the bags into the back of the shop when I spotted a pile of records. Those of you who remember back to the Book Fair story will recall that there were only a few records in the store and the rest had seemed to vanish. I guess this may have been the pile.

I asked the lady if I could have a look through the pile and she agreed, at 50 cents each. I started going through them, found a few that I liked but in the back of my mind I knew I only had $3.50 in cash in the car. So I was kinda hoping I wouldn't find much as the lady was pretty staunch.

I ended up getting these:

The Platters - The New Golden Hits Of

As mentioned last time, I always fall for The Platters records. This one is on Interfusion which is a label I want to learn more about. From memory Hendrix is on Interfusion right? Any way. I got this, I still haven't listened to it. The cover art is pretty pretty though.

Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth

What is it? Not to sure. I know both the artist and the title separately but I still don't get it. Haven't listened to this but am surely looking forward to it. The lady at the counter screwed her face up when she saw this and said really loud "THIS ISN'T ROCK N ROLL!!!". It was weird. I took it as a sign that this LP will be allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllright.

Willie Nelson - Stardust

I buy this every time I see it. Don't know how many copies of it I have now. It's truly a classic. If you like Willie Nelson, buy it. If you like the ol' standards, buy it. If you like laughing at people who whistle when they say s's, for god's sake buy it.

Just as I thought I was finished with the records I saw a plain brown box with what was left of an HMV label on it. "Another bunch of 78's", I murmured. But for some reason I decided to take a look. When I opened it up I realised that the whole box was full of private press 78's. Some with hand scrawled labels, others etched right into the shellac. The box was full of at least 20 of these private pressings. I offered the lady $3.50 for the entire box and the three LP's I pulled out. She agreed and Bob's your sister's brother!

Check these out Selma:







What can I say? After feeling like a complete sad sack about my record digging spots, this happens. All is right in the world!

More action on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Have you played the 78s yet!? they look very intriguing. what a score!
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many copies of Stardust do you need :)? I see it all the time and think maybe, then no. I love his album The Red Headed Stranger - a concept country album. Next time I see Stardust I will pick it up.

    The 78s look intriguing!! I can't wait to read your writing on that one. I am imagining voices from the other side - like a seance. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a grammo-ma-phone anymore so I'm a bit stuck. Apparently they get them through Sallies but I'm sure they charge an arm and a leg for them. Sigh. But yeah, a score indeed. I love private press stuff. Or unlablled things.

    CK: I recommend Stardust. It's just a really sweet, sweet record. I don't have much time for any of his other music, apart from maybe his duet with Snoop Dogg. But Stardust I love.


    I will make an effort to review the 78's. I've got a great private press 33 that was pressed in Gisborne. A letter from the Gisbornites to their family in the States. "Aunty Mabel is doing fine although missing Uncle Ted and awful lot. And now here's sister Shirley singing 'Click Go The Shears'". Awesome, awesome stuff.

    I'm hoping the 78's are like that. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete