I Am Still Here

A trip to Real Groovy last week came up trumps. That said, if it was my actual job the hourly rate would be pretty low. I listen to records for four hours and only selected 5 albums. That said quality over quantity. Was this selection quality? Time will tell.

First up, Vince Guaraldi's Oh Good Grief (1968). I have a weakness for Guaraldi and his whole Peanuts output. I think it is the groovy syncopation. This album is a little unusual in that while he is playing the classic Peanuts tunes he lays an electric harpsichord over the top (listen here).


















Next up is Jan Hammer's Oh Yeah? (1976) I am seeing some kind of trend - cartoon cover, punctuated titles. The music falls into that mid 70s mess of prog, jazz and rock that I love. A couple of listening options to get a taste: Oh Yeah? and One to One.
















Listening to album reminded me that I had another album with Jan Hammer from around the same time, David Earle Johnson's Time is Free (1977). Listen to Grandma's House, especially from 2:10 where it turns into a freaky echo jam.




















Following on in a jazz rock vein I also picked up Michel Colombier's self titled album (1979). I didn't know anything about this guy but he is in good company on the album - Herbie Hancock, Jaco Pastorius, Tom Scott, Steve Gadd, Airto Moreira etc. Sample listen: Do It. This is probably the pick of the album. Not too bad though.














And just in case you thought I was only about the jazz I also picked up some disco. Silver Convention (1975). The copy that I have has no record company label info and the back cover is very contrasty. I suspect it is a bootleg. Sample track: Fly Robin Fly. According to wikipedia this track carries the distinction of being a Billboard chart topper with one of the fewest nmber of unique words: six. Apparently it is sampled by a few of those hip hop people too (check out the Silver Convention video!!)













And finally I picked up The Legendary Taj Mahal (1981). As much as I love Taj I do not have anything of his on vinyl - until now. Satisfied and Tickled Too is my all time fav. Let's take that record for a drive.

3 comments:

  1. ha, last time i was at groovy i had grouped some of those recs together, didn't end up buying anything tho. I was thinking, "damn where's chris he would love these ones!" particularly Guaraldi and Taj Mahal.
    thanks for the post!

    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. got some brand new second hand records today. first record i'm listening to now, and wow! hope the rest are this cool. will update soon as i can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. i've been sorting through the crates. found some pretty cool things. just trying to find the time to blog about it. loving these write-ups though.

    ReplyDelete