CcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCcCc


Scores from the market last Sunday. Avondale, Auckland…

 
The Rodger Fox Big Band – Time Piece. 1978 (Ode)
Covers not much to look at, would easily be passed over, and not the biggest fan of the big band. Still something made me pick it out and turn it over. 1978 New Zealand Jazz aye? A Kool & The Gang Arrangement? Hmm... on the pile.


Got it home, and GOT DAMN!! What the hell is this!? New Zealand, Funky!? Jazzy!? Tight as. Unbelievably good. Gets the perplexed head nod like, this is funky, but noo freaking way?
Recorded in the Wellington Studios of Radio New Zealand.
The title track composed by Roger Fox is a fine taste of what this album holds.



Dick Hopp Sextet – A Labour of Love. 1981 (Ode)
Another NZ Jazz release on Ode. Heaps of good info in the liner notes if wanting to research further into NZ Jazz and what else may be out there. But I’d prefer to let that info and those records find me, out of laziness and fear of my ‘like’ of jazz getting real geeky (oh wait I’m writing a blog about records). ‘A labour of love’ is probably a suitable title to any New Zealand album because unless you’re OMC (R.I.P), or draining money from Creative NZ like Shihad, selling gold aint gona feed a Sextet in this country. Let us just hope these guys either won an award they could pawn, or that they got into the wine industry (cover photo taken in Sutton Baron Vineyard, Henderson, Auckland)

I like this Album. Sometimes all a good jazz album needs to be is something you put on, do things and forget its even playing. Dick Hopp’s on flute, a lead instrument I’d prefer over a jazzy saxophone any day, love it when they do that over blown effect. Heaps of good moments on this album, it even ends with a percussion solo! Naming the players just so they can get their internet props if they come looking for it: Chuck Morgan, Larry Mattinez, John Berryman, Don Branch, Allan Quennell.
Dick also used to be in rock outfit Headband.


Dizzie Gillepsie and Arturo Sandoval In Helsinki – To a Finland Station. 1983 (Pablo Records).
From what I hear the 80’s turned its back on a lot of great musicians of the past, and those that attempted to stay relevant produced some garbage trying to do so. Dizzy clearly got love in Finland, check those smiles on the cover! This album sounds like he and Arturo were ballin’ over there. It also sounds timeless. An American and a Cuban backed by a Finnish rhythm section = Goodness.

Woody Shaw – For Sure! 1980 (CBS)
I put this one in the pile to make up numbers when haggling for the price. This is the one you put back if you’re trying to get the price you want, like “Ok, I’ll put this one back, now will you take 20 for the lot?” (Don’t judge me, its part of the game and I always play fair). I’m glad I didn’t have to put this one back though. This is some sophisticated moody shit right here. Some sinister bass lines and Woody can tell story’s with that horn (that’s jazz talk).

Willis Jackson – In The Alley. 1977 (Muse Records)
Sorry Willis, but i’m in it for the organ (Carl Wilson), and I only picked this up because I know Jimmy Ponder plays a dreamy guitar. Your tenor sax is a little too sad and the best parts on your record are when you are not playing (sorry). I’m sure you’re really talented and other people like you. If it is any consolation I’m keeping this record in the collection because ‘Gator’s Groove’ is pretty great.

Eddie Green, Al Johnson, Sherman Ferguson, Odeon Pope – Catalyst. 1981 (Muse Records)
Another recording on Muse like above, and another group from Philadelphia like below. Clearly these records are all from the same collection, but had been dispersed among musicals like Hair, Fiddler on the Roof, soundtracks like Dr Zhyvago and [  ] as well as artists like the Irish Rovers and John Denver. I was almost gonna skip the whole crate but glad I didn’t. This record made my day and made the effort to keep flicking through worthwhile. It was recorded in 1972 and rereleased in 1981 for reasons I can’t be bothered researching. This album is pretty mellow and super humble. No saxy show boating to be had which I’m sure is the result of them all being long time session musicians who were over that.

Reverie – Self Titled. 1979 (Encounter / Philly Jazz Records)
This one had to be picked up. Everything about the cover front and back intrigued.  I only wish the drummer hit the snare harder. Would’ve taken that funky jazz fusion to the next level. Mark Knox kills it on the keys, some nice synth action on the intro to Indian Summer worth jacking (that’s hip hop for sampling and not paying royalties). I feel like there’s gold in here sample wise, but its pretty dense and you’d need to mine for it. Maybe not worth the bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment