!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Moonhop.



I took a somewhat hiatus from digging while living in temporary accommodation for work. I got good at resisting the pull of record shops and had managed to walk past Moonhop a few times without going in. Now I’m settled in a rental which I will regrettably fill it with records knowing full well there will be a time to move again.

Under the guise to get a Reuben sandwich from On-Trays and some Indian sweets from Bikaner (both spots real deal good!) me and my girl took a trip out to Petone and I casually popped into Moonhop for a “quick look.”

Dr Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band - Self Titled
I go go nuts for Kid Creole and the Coconuts. August Darnell is a master producer and composer with lyrics to go. Pre-coconuts, this debut Dr Buzzards record is the fun that just begun. Zoot Suit City in the club!

I knew I wanted to buy this, therefore didn’t listen to it at the shop. If only I did! It has a bad streak of crackle - not the nice warm fire crackle, but an interruption once every rotation. Wasn’t even visible. Woomp womp.



Dr Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band - Meets King Penett
A late 1970s group playing homage to 1940s big band era… now days we have late twenty teens (2015-18) playing homage to the 80s era - i'm all for "old genres"/styles in new contexts. This album has it all.The sounds of the ocean, ocean birds, calypso, disco, French, English, marimbas, Cory Day – “I’ll always have a smile for you”. Now transport yourself.

Roberta Flack – Quiet Fire
Quite fire is such a great name and is perfectly matched for this album. I’m not a music writer and there’s nothing I could say about Robert Flack that hasn’t been said already. I’ll say these things though… Made in the same year as Alice Coltrane’s Journey in Satchidananda. Burnard Purdie and Ralph McDonald. Joel Dorn magic. To love somebody I'm not the guy to argue best mediums for music, but there really is something about hearing this one on vinyl. Like a warm quietly crackling fire (oooo that's good music writing).

Happy to finally have this one alongside others in her catalogue. I don’t think that I’m a completest when it comes to collecting artists I like, but its easy to nearly achieve that when they’re big sellers, consistently good, and now they’re not necessary rare or seem to be in high demand = affordable. Suits me.

Amral's Trinidad Cavaliers Steel Orchestra ‎– Latin In Steel
I scored a beat up copy at the Avondale markets a few years back which was signed by the whole band. I assume they toured here at some point and left a few albums in their wake. This one was cheap, clean and I got a soft spot for the steel drum. Now I have two copies and don’t know which one to keep, clean and playable or rough and signed…or both?

Against my better judgement, I will be back Moonhop.

No comments:

Post a Comment