80s Garbage!

I have been hooked into the sound of the 80s.

A couple of months ago I found a gold vain of records running through a mountain of Richard Clayderman, James Last, Nina Scacooshki and Kamahl. It was 80s gold! Jheri curl funk, 80s hip hop etc..
I’ve often sneezed on the 80s steez, writing the whole decade off as a jo

ke. But when brining these records home and playing them, my eyes were opened and I saw the light. The instrumentation is insanely cool. So many well placed subtleties, slappin bass lines, riffin synths and electric drums. Why could I not hear this before! I’ve liked Prince since I was a kid. But I had little idea there were so many other artists out there doing a similar thing. The energy of the 80s is infectious!

Now I am working on a very special 80s set to DJ. Not to be like “hey look it’s an ironic 80s party, laugh it up!” oh no (well a few chuckles, because the 80s was about having fun), but more for the value of the music.

I have DJ’d other genres, namely soul and rippin’ rock’n’roll. I still love these genres and will continue to DJ them, but man, you don’t find soul in the record bins no more, unlike that 80s garbage.

This was one of the five 45s I picked up at the D.O.C fair. The seller sung a part of it for me and laughed as I walked away. This group apparently was put together by Prince. Great song and a cool ass B side.

Bonnerrific!

Check out a video here

Also, I’ve been thinking of a suitable DJ name for when I bust out this set. So far I’m thinking Sexy Dancin’ or DJ Ayeshay (it’s also my 80s singing alias, made a name logo and everything). I'm open to suggestions or votes.

-Sexy Dancin’

-M

3 comments:

  1. Gold! Only four posts in and we have the sexy babes on the front page. Haha, he said 'sexy babes'.

    I tautoko your foray into 80's sets as long as you do one at my 30th. DJ Sexy Dancin' wins out for me.

    Furthermore, this song is top 5 for me at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9hLoPYABss - maybe not quite the sound you're into but still, banging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that's the sound! Prince's rival band right? yeah i need me some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how I acted surprised when you told me about this group...I actually did know who they were, firstly they were my idols as a young child and secondly they were in Purple Rain! Well kind of...two of them were anyway. And they did the Sex Shooter song. YOWZA.

    That is all.
    - Talia

    ReplyDelete