Four Crates: Episode Four

Morning.

Throughout this exercise I've been trying hard to fill up my crate of duds. I don't know what I'm going to do with these records. I was thinking of selling them as a lot on Trade Me (boo hiss!) or possibly taking them to the opp shop to see if they would swap three for one? If you see anything that tickles your fancy, comment below.


(L-R & Top to bottom) 1: Ill Latin record but I'm trying to have all killer no filler in the Latin section. 2: A square Dutch couple trying to sing the world to sleep. 3, 4, 5, 6: Weird Korean classical records for the infantile genius in your life. 7: A mind-blowing illustration but classical music from a period I cannot like no matter how hard I try. 8: Ridiculously bad pop music - ridiculously awesome pink latex pants on the back cover 9: The White Sisters throw down on Word Records to mind-numbingly boring results.


1: If you're the guy playing musical cues during NZ Breakers games, pick this up. 2: KLF-era British rap that is so bad it's terrible. 3: Tears For Fears are 'Top 5 Pretentious Douchebags' to me. 4: The title of this 12" is 'I don't think that man should sleep alone' - think about that for a second. 5: The Allman Brothers in relatively excellent condition - not my cup of Dilmah. 6: Artist Proof - been in the listening shelf for the longest time but I've outgrown it. 7: Once she left American Idol the value of this album plummeted. 8: Count Basie and his band rip on this like their lives depends on it - the Alan Copeland Singers crap all over it. 9: Hint - album covers like this either contain break after break or life-changing levels of cheese.

1: True story - I'm getting rid of this in the hope I can replace it with a better quality version. 2: This album was awesome until I put it on and realised it was Peking Man (worst New Zealand band ever [narrowly beating Sal Dub]). 3: Lionel Richie lost his voice for years by eating Haagen Dazs ice cream and going to bed straight afterwards. 4: I bought this for the ironic factor but found myself hiding it whenever someone came over to look at my records. 5: She only has one good album, to me, this isn't it. 6 & 7: Sure, you can ham it up on your record cover and your session musicians are throwing down in the background but at the end of the day, you're Leo Sayer. 8: Bought this amongst a huge lot of French Funk - someone will love it. 9: If I was allowed, I'd keep this for the cover.

1: German bore at its finest. 2: The amazing mis-leading record cover. 3: I wonder if there is a band called The Real Funky Kings? 4: You'd think with this cover it'd be some sort of 70's rock with breaks - you'd think. 5: Bought this for one song which, especially with a double LP, is against the rules. 6: Anyone into Chicago House and sped up Funky Drummer breaks would love this. 7: I got a stack of 70's Disco 12"s at the Nelson Market once and this just wasn't hitting it. 8: Shinehead does his best to bite every single BDP song ever recorded - with a Jamaican accent. 9: This record has seen way too many Intermediate discos - BANGS on 33 though.

1: I've tried to sell this record on Trade Me three times (three times!) 2: The cover is too perfect - the music is not my glass of vodka (racial!). 3: True story: I listened to side A and said "This sounds so much like John Farnham" before realising that LRB stands for Little River Band. 4: This is actually quite good if you're into hilarious blurbs on the back of sleeves ("This band is so great, I started dating the bassist").

1: Found out what this record is by Google-ing some lyrics. I wish I had the other record, the sleeve and it was the UK edition!

1: The usual joke is that if a record is beat up, it's been to too many parties. The fact that this record is Cat Stevens makes that joke not work.


See you on Wednesday - same wax time, same wax channel.

6 comments:

  1. Great post. I would encourage you to pick up more crap/questionable records so that you can dis them on the blog. Very funny.
    I am tempted by The Wild Ones. Apparently sales of the album were discontinued because it was not recorded live (as the cover suggests) but in the studio with people standing around drinking and talking to give the illusion of a live scene. Outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That doesn't surprise me CK. The whole record seems dodgy. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it has some sort of tie-in with Tom Jones. Maybe they are managed by the same person? Because they do a few TJ covers. The whole record is fruity. It's yours if you want it.


    I'm hoping I can make a habit of dissing the discarded pile. It means less records and good times online; everyone kicks a goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of doing the Hamilton record fair next month. For a 10% cut I am happy to sell some records on your behalf. Though that lot you may have to put in the $2/$1 crate. You would at least get some of your money back though! I sold a good amount of $2 recs at the last fair.

    I recognise some of those records. The Funky Kings! haha.. yeahh.. not cool. maybe they smelt funky?

    Having technical difficulties preventing me doing some posting. but will get there. They're all typed up and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAH narrowly bating sal dub! You're hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez Louise there are some amazing record covers here! Far out Lionel Richie creeps me out, if you have seen his video clip for 'Hello' you shall understand.

    -Talia

    ReplyDelete