Four Crates: Episode Five

Morning. Bit of a rush last night to get these all uploaded and encoded and whatever else. Between my son spilling a bag of flour on my 'chuck out' pile and having to rewire my radio station's transmitter - twas a frantic night. But here we are, let's proceed...

Carlos Ramonos - Sounds Latin

Sometimes I want to keep records only for the cover. This one was the opposite. I really wanted to get rid of it because the cover grossed me out. The photograph doesn't really capture how filthy that belly is, but ah well. The music contained on the record is actually pretty banging so it's going into the 'listening' shelf. Made a beat for shits and giggles:



Craig Scott - In MacArthur Park

This LP is full of bangers. Great New Zealand pop music and some pretty good covers too. The drummer is heavy handed and the string section is doing it's thing. I've made three beats from this previously - one used by an amazing New Zealand MC called Feature02. I did this one as a Dollar Brand Bonus Exclusive Street Sweeper Mother Lovers Exclusive:



Various - Loxene Golden Disc 1972

I have multiple copies of the two Loxene Golden Disc records I can find (5 of one and 6 of the other). I just love picking them up. They are the easiest way of getting hold of B.L.E.R.T.A and Quincy Conserve on vinyl without paying a lot of dough. I'm currently reading a book about the history of New Zealand rock n roll and I'm currently up to the chapter that talks about this era so it was timely to pull it out of the crate. Either way, I decided to finally tackle this song I've been putting off for so long. I could do better but I'm going for quantity not quality at the moment:



The Imperials - The Very Best Of

I love, capital letters, LOVE The Imperials. If you ever see some of these guys records, which you will, consider dropping 50c or $1 on one. Not only will you get some great cover art of a bunch of white disco suits with medallions and hair chests (pause) you also get a hidden drum break or ridiculously ill sample. It's my dream to play some sort of Youth Town disco or something and pull out all the great Christian Disco and Funk I have in the stash. This a two part beat called 'Clove Oil pt 1' and 'Clove Oil pt 2', named after the substance that saved me from a night of pain from dry socket. Thanks Clove Oil:



Jon Stevens - Jezebel

The cheese factor is there, sure. But if you really put all of that aside and listen to it, you'll hear one of the best mixed albums in New Zealand pop music history. Don't believe me? Chuck this on the headphones and do a comparison with something off Atlantic or CTI. The mixing and mastering is second to none. Anyways, I called this beat 'Kawerau' because I always get Jon Stevens mixed up with John Rowles:



Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch Of Schmilsson

Harry Nilsson has a great album - the one with the fridge light. When I picked this up I was gassed because the design is fantastic not to mention the stock the album is printed on is real heavy grade. It's just a well designed cover front to back. The first time I put the record on and was not feeling it. Luckily I didn't chuck it out straight away as this second time around I'm really liking it. String arrangements are very, very well done. Not to mention he covers a song that The Mills Brothers did and I am a super Mills Brother stan. No beat, 'listening' shelf bound.

Kayak - See The Sun

I've made a beat out of this record before. True story, I pulled this out and made a beat three years ago when there was a lunar eclipse. It was a big coincidence. Anyways, I gave this another listen and it's going to the 'listening' shelf. See, usually I put records I've sampled into a crate and put them down in the shed. I saved this one from a dusty, damp, neglected life. PS: Kayak spelled backwards spells 'kayak'.

Shade Smith - Star Blaze Soundtrack

Do you guys always see this when you're digging? I do. Great New Zealand space music. Well worth picking up and full of great samples.

This Is The Joost de Draayer Show

There are a lot of things to like about this record. It's basically some Dutch radio jock doing his radio schtick over the intros of songs. It's a glorified hits of the 70's record or something like that, but Joost is going seppo in Dutch over the top. The best thing about this record, to me, is that all of the hit songs are redone by other bands (as is the case on most records like that) but they name the bands that replay the songs. I love that. I wish they would do that on other records I have.

Wes Harrison - You Won't Believe Your Years

This record is mis-labelled. Side one is actually side two and vice versa. So when I listened to side one it didn't really appeal to me. This time around I checked out side two and was blown away. I really didn't believe my ears. I also couldn't believe the condition the cover was in. Someone loved this to death.

Chuck Girard - Chuck Girard

Chuck Girard is your one-stop shop for space talk, alien ballads and spooky synths interspersed with Praise songs. I love it! Some of Chuck's records are well worth the $1 but there are one or two, be warned, that are like he's going through the Lionel Richie Hagen Dazs phase.


If all goes to plan you'll be reading more on Friday. See you then.

2 comments:

  1. too much to comment on!

    - belly button yukk!! wonder if anyone has a belly button fetish?

    -what's the feature02 track?

    - Good job on the Roundhouse. Picked up a mint copy of that 45 in Katikati. the B-side 'you can't take your love' if bumpin' as!

    -Harry Nilsson. saw that for $20 at a Salvation Army in Auckland!! wow. haha. "tell em they're dreamin'"

    -I've never seen Star Blaze in my travels. I have records that i often see around here and there and assume everyone must see them. but then they sell like hot-cakes at the record fair? If it's good get doubles!

    - Wes Harrison sure makes some funny noises

    ReplyDelete
  2. M-People,

    - Couldn't name the Feature02 track but I believe it's off the UFO EP. I'll post it up one day if I can find the beat.

    - I still need to do that Quincy Conserve EP. That must make a few QC 45s for you by now? I never see them!

    - $20? I think I paid 50c. Return of investment is pretty good on that one then.

    - Star Blaze is great. Shade Smith is from that one band The Rumour. I have a great story about them which I hope to share another day. Oh the suspense.

    - Wes Opener > Wes Harrison

    ReplyDelete