Four Crates: Episode Three

Morning.

Had a bunch of fun with these ones. Lots of beats from records I've held on to for way too long.

Frankie Laine - Hell Bent For Leather

First off, his face says it all: Swag. I've got a soft spot for Western themes. It all stems from a record I was lent when I was 12 or 13. It was one of the first records I ever made a beat out of and I searched for years and years to find my own copy. In the process I picked up every Western soundtrack album I could find (Rio Bravo FTW!) until I found that elusive platter. I really need to shed some weight in the Latin and Western departments so it was either make a beat or get rid of it. Here's one I prepared earlier:

Randy Stonehill - Celebrate This Heartbeat

I make a point to pick up anything on Word, Pasture and Light records. Whether it's Moira belting out the solo on 'God Takes Care of His Children' or Randy going ape shit on the synthesizers, you're always bound to find something funky. I realised I had already made a beat out of this record but found something else that I thought could become a beat:

Los Norte Americanos - The Band I Heard In Tijuana Vol. 2

My Nana Olive rescued a box of records from one of her friends house. Most of it was Richard Clayderman and Solid Gold Hits but amongst it was Volume 1 and 2 (doubles!) of The Band I Heard In Tijuana. Is it any good? I'm not sure. But I held on to it just in case my tastes change. This time around I heard something weird that could be turned into a beat (Big Pun sample for good measure):

Various - 2o Great Hits Of '73

Holding onto records because of the cover is something that I do and feel a lot of guilt about. Every time we move house and I rope my friends and family into lugging crates from house-to-truck then truck-to-house, all I can think is "Maybe I should have chucked out that James Last with the topless woman on the cover". Ah well. I had never listened to this record despite owning it for about 8 years. Awesome. Upon listening, I wasn't convinced it was a keeper until I listened to one track on 45. I came up with this:

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence

I've picked this up twice and I don't know why. The first time around I wasn't really into it. For some reason the name Manfred Mann is etched in my brain from looking through my Mothers trunk of records as a youngster. She didn't have this record, that I know. I think I may have softened in my older years and after being pummeled by the local commercial radio station playing 'Blinded By The Light' day after day. I decided to hold on to this record and muck around with this loop to make myself feel better:

Eddie Lund and his Tahitians - Echoes From a Distant Lagoon

This was really the jewel in the crown of this lot. A totally beat up cover but the actual record wasn't as bad. It's on Viking Records which I've realised I have a lot of. I'm not too up on Viking but I will say that what I do have of theirs is pretty interesting (Tauranga Girls College end of year concerts and the like). Anyways, I though I'd give this an honest crack and made this.

I must point out, with most of these beats, they're made in two minutes or so, so sometimes the drums are out of time or the same bass sounds are used. What I usually do is go back and tidy them up if I ever decide to make anything out of the beat draft. With this beat, I'm definitely coming back to this to tidy it up and add more to it:


Thanks for playing. See you next Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Now Prince Paul them samples and layer them all up!

    Can't stand Manfred Mann. However, i still went through and listened to all their albums before placing them in the sale pile, and thank the goodness i did. Manfred Mann's album 'Chapter Three' (not chapter three pt two) is bad ass! soo stripped back and very little singing on it. Also sells for a fair bit.

    Like the Eddie Lund and his Tahitians sample. I've started pickin' up a few records themed around the pacific. One really cool one i'll post up when i get a camera called 'Samoan Style' with some great fros on the cover. Also startin a 'dusky maiden' series cause i'm racial like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel as strongly as -M about Manfred Mann - I enjoy Blinded By The Light as a guilty pleasure (as well as Bruce Springsteen's original version on Greetings from Ashbury Park). But the first Manfred Mann Chapter Three is great.

    I loved the 20 Greatest Hits of '73 treatment. Stands up by itself - beyond the beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Blinded By The Light' is a banger in my opinion, especially the album version that seems to veer a little sideways after three minutes. For some reason I always thought it was Supertramp.

    Must try and pick up that Chapter Three you're both talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Tahitian record! I have many classics by Eddie Lund, but not this one. Any chance you could play a few of the whole tracks from this LP? I've searched many a record store for this, and would greatly appreciate!

    Thanks,

    Godzzla

    ReplyDelete