Welcome to Cosmic YOUniversity

Imagine my excitement when I came across the 12" of The Crown by Gary Byrd and the GB Experience at Real Groovy . They had me at 10 minutes and 35 seconds (in my world size does matter and apparently this was one of the longest tracks to ever chart in the UK) and closed the deal with produced by Stevie Wonder. Why have I never heard this 1983 rap classic before?






Opening lyric:

People of the world wherever you be
Welcome to Cosmic YOUniversity
Where life is the journey and love is the trip
The Study of them will make you hip

The B-side is instrumental only and is pretty beaten up. I like to think this is because a DJ pushed it to the limit rather than it was used as a frisbee. The sales person at RG was shocked by the condition and said he wouldn't play it on his equipment. Clearly I have no respect for my needle.

I can imagine Theo or Vanessa Huxtable sitting in on Gary Byrd's class.

For your listening pleasure (Stevie jumps in around 5:15)...



2 comments:

  1. I love this style of rapping. So happy and informative. What happened?

    Who knew Stevie Wonder was producing hip-hop jams in the 80's? Not I.

    This wasn't from the $2 record section was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cool for school. yeah i've picked up a couple of 80s rappin 12s lately. all about the positivity, and having safe sex hahaa. now days... they all, ooo babyin they like it raw.

    ReplyDelete