Four Crates: Episode Seven

Been a bit unwell lately so I've fallen behind in my schedule. I'm half way through one crate and have roughly two and half left to go. My chuck out pile is looking mighty healthy at the moment. More on that at a later date.

Wild Thing - Partyin'

Some generic band does covers of the latest rock n roll hits. Every single track is a floor filler! The only problem seems to be that the band falls in and out of time constantly. The drummer shifts timing in the middle of songs, it's so weird to hear something so unpolished out of an era where recording was a huge and expensive undertaking. I'm keeping it for the novelty factor but also because every single song on here is a winner. No beats.

Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus

I had the insert from this LP on my wall when I was a teenager without knowing where it came from or what it represented. Then when I found this copy of Red Octopus it all fell into place. I also realised that this record has a sample I used on an upcoming EP and I hadn't been able to figure out what the sample was, so that's great news. Also, it has a pretty iconic break on it too.

Honeytree - Maranatha Marathon

Was having a bit of a time with the camera last night. So, sorry about the flash flares all over the covers. Deal with it. Anywho, Honeytree was one of the keystone acts signed to Myrrh records. She was pretty big on the Praise music circuit and wrote some excellent jams like "Ain't It Grand To Serve Jesus!". Excellent if you're into that sort of thing. I don't know if you've seen that one sitcom 'The Middle'? Honeytree sounds like if the daughter from The Middle was morphed with Karen Carpenters band and they sung about how she used to do drugs but then found Jesus. Sounds like this:



Encore! - Great Gospel Songs

A double LP of great gospel tunes?!?! Count me in! But seriously, I picked this one up because it's on Word records, the most hiphop of all the Gospel music labels. Also, the covert art is amazing. Great colour scheme. Disc one was full to the brim of open drums, open pianos, open basslines and everything else you need in your beatmakers toolbox. Disc two was a bit crappy. But here is a beat to give you a taste:



Doug Sahm and Band - Doug Sahm and Band

A few years ago my fellow Dollar Brand writer, -M, lived down the road from me. As you can probably imagine his record collection is absolutely nuts. -M operates on an 'all bangers, no clangers' theory and thus everything you pull from his shelves is gold. At the time -M was having a huge clean out of records and he let me pick through the left-overs to see if I was interested in anything. I picked up a dozen and subsequently forgot about them. Anyways, this is one of the records and oh my word (blukku blukku!) this is killer. Promo DJ copy on Atlantic Records. Doug plays Country twangers and blues jams with Bob Dylan adding vocals and Dr John throwing down on the piano. 100% recommended.

Barbra Streisand - Stoney End



I just happened to have this in my 'unsorted' crates and after watching the above video I chucked it on. There is only one good song and it's the one J-Rocc sampled but by jove it's a doozy! Raer azzz!

Various - Australian Folk


There are some classics on this. I'm not really into twangy folk songs with twangy accents but to be fair there are some good dittys on this. It also has 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport' on it - which in some versions still has the lyrics "Set me Abo's loose, Bruce". Shocking. This has it. Put that in your TradeMe auction and smoke it.

Ariel - A Strange Fantastic Dream

This is another from -M's crates and when I picked it up, I thought I was getting some sort of weird Pysch-Rock record with noodling Moogs and reverbed drums. But if you open the gatefold it has a picture of a bunch of Australian Yobbos larking about on the Cortina production line at the Australia Ford Plant in Geelong. What? But upon further listening I did find the odd moog and pysch-out moments. Nothing that really hits you in your face but some great loops here and there. I've sampled this previously so no need to justify keeping it. Also, the cover reminds me of something that would be held up by this woman.

Andrei Gavrilov - Rachmaninov

I can't imagine I picked this up myself. I usually avoid classical if I can. The only possibility was that I thought I was buying some obscure Russian record after reading one too many Soul-Strut posts back in the day. Either way, I was pretty surprised to put the needle on and find out there was songs that be turned into this:



and this:




Right. Hopefully I can get this project back on track and give you another post soon. Enjoy the rest of your week.

1 comment:

  1. -what's the break in Jefferson Starship?

    -Doug Sham and the Band. I just couldn't enjoy listening to it. But mann I try'n to get every Dr John record. not his session stuff though. that'd be impossible, he's up on everything. I'm not too big on his honky tonk piano, but most albums of his got that voodoo magic to compensate.

    - Is Jrocc being sarcastic about that Streisand album? I'd sell that in a flash if its worth something, because again, not listenable for me.

    -Australian folk, now thats a keeper!

    -The Arial cover promises soo much. A Strange Fantastic Dream!!???
    a lil like the Funky Kings promise of being some kind of kings of funk

    ReplyDelete