Automatic kettle with hot new features!

On a whirlwind trip back to the home towny I did not expect to encounter any records. With limited time, I knew I wouldn't be able to visit any of my favourite spots in the district. But what-a-ya-know! As I was in the process of fixing my prized radiola in its new home, my mum brought out a wee box of 45s that she had recently received from… ummm… she can’t remember?!?

I start looking through the box at records I hadn’t really seen before. A few Ray Columbus 7s, which, showing my ignorance, I discorverd are really bad ass and rockin’. I think I had it made up in my head what his music sounded like, and I was taking a back at how up there he is. There were also some Buddy Holly EPs with slick covers, I’m not a Buddy Holly ‘fan’ like some folk, but I can dig, and they will go great with the other EPs of his contemporaries I have.

The “? (Question Mark) & The Mysrerians” was rippin. There was also an Australian soul number, what the? Aside from discovering all the great 7s in box, it was another discovery that made these records all the more interesting. My dad’s initials were written on most of them. I thought I’d seen all his records, I’d been through boxes of 45s that were his, but never had I seen these records. So where did they come from?? Where had they been for the last 13 years? And were all these records his, or have they been mixed up with someone else’s? like Nirvana, he probably could have purchased that, he was a disc jock on a student radio station during that era. Hmmm… a mystery. I‘m looking forward to getting a phone call from mum being like “I remember who gave them to me!”

In other news, being home alone at the moment, the lounge is slowly filling up with records. Spending every hour every night listening through the many boxes. Working on three sets, a rock’n’soul one, sexy 80s one, and a 70s ‘break-rock’ ( 70s rock that has the hip-hop factor for me - head noddin’) set.

Busted out the 80s set on Fleet Truck the other weekend. Didn’t have time to prepare anything or clean the recs, DJ’d in the dark, but had a whole lotta fun. You can listen here to the bones of what will eventually be the sexiest set in town.

Also constructing a rock’n’soul set for this weekend…


1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Buddy Holly seems to be popping up everywhere I look at the moment. After that mention on the Jimmy Fallon WTF I am tempted to give him another go. My mum was a fan apparently.

    I can't stand Ray Columbus. But after reading 'Ready To Fly: A History of New Zealand Rock n Roll' I can see how he'd have a lot of 7"s floating around.

    That pic of your crate-filled lounge is enough to bring a big smile to a fellow collectors face.

    Good luck for Shake!

    ReplyDelete