cheap bastard

Went to do my routine record rounds the other day. First op-spot, nothing good that I could see, but I thought I could hear some of the staff out back talking about records. I dismissed it just thinking that because I had recs on the brain, every conversation would probably sound like that. I was trying on some shirts in the changing room when I heard the lady at the counter talking recs to a customer. I looked out the curtain to see some dude with a whole shopping bag of recs about to walk out the door. He got to browse through the stock out back! Bastard!

I hung the shirts back up and thought if this 30 something op-shop chic thick frame four eyes is doing the rounds also, I better beat him to the next spot. This guy was the speediest walker ever! I was on one side of the road, he the other, and we were both heading for the same place. Running would’ve been the only way to match his pace. He just happened to stop and look at something in a store window, which allowed me 1st to the next lot.

I was flipping through while he was hovering about pretending to look at nearby books. Nothing really appealed, but I wanted to buy something just so he would feel like he missed out on something good. (What’s wrong with me!?). I did manage to stop myself paying $2 for some garbage out of spite. But when he started flipping through, it made me feel like I missed something. He was studying each record hard out. And as I was could see from the bus stop. He was in there for aages. I might of beat him to the next spot because I scored this gem:
Little Feat – The Last Record Album.
I do have this, and most their catalogue to my knowledge. This one is among my favourite of theirs. Have always liked ‘Long Distance Love’ and having another favourite song being created out of it (Modern Man’s Hustle) gave me even more appreciation for it. Surprised more people haven’t sampled this album, it’s got groves and breaks all over it. Everyone still uses the classic drum break from ‘Fool Yourself’ off their album Dixie Chicken.

I also grabbed a Living Colour album, which sucked, but there was little else on offer to satisfy my madness.

Popped in to Alien records again. When you’re always looking through record spots you get a good idea of what’s out there and what the cost should be. To be honest, these guys are a little over priced for second hand records, which in most cases aren’t in the best condition. However, when you see something you hardly ever see, the price can be justified. And their 7s are a little cheaper than RG.

I looked for some time and got a pretty good pile of recs I was keen to buy. But after listening to them, and filtering out the warped, scratched (The Floaters – Float On 7”) and extremely dusty, I was left only with this lot:
George Benson – The Love Songs.
The price was right, and Crispy and I had discussed how I should look to get some 80s Benson into the set. Smoooth as. I’ve passed over some of his 80s recs in the past. But no more.

Real Thing – Can You Feel The Force b/w Children of The Ghetto.
Hearing the intro you’d think Concord Dawn were about to drop some heavy D&B. Instead it’s some funky ass disco with coolest horns. The B-side is the cool out track, soulful and thoughtful. Feel like I’ve heard this sampled somewhere before. Also, now I can associate something else musical to Liverpool other than the Beatles.

Mary Jane Girls – In My House b/w Instrumental.
These girls do no wrong. Thanks Rick James!

King Tee – Diss You 12”
When listening to this in store (through the store stereo) the proprietor clearly hurt a little over its use of the Rolling Stones’ ‘Miss You’. I can imagine that’s how many artists felt when the Stones built their success with other peoples songs and styles. The Dust Brothers are responsible for this head nodder, and King Tee raps it hard as nails to them girlies that aint treating him right. Better believe if you say you’re gonna call him at 8, you best not be late.

Ice-T – High Rollers 12"
This one was outta the sales bin at RG. From King Tee to Ice T, hard rappers in these days had such great voices, combined with ol' fashioned charisma and style. Regardless of what Ice T is up to now days, his early work gives him a free ticket to do whatever the fuck he wants, reality TV shows, diss little kid rappers, take a role as a cop, perform the nut cracker in a tutu. It don’t matter, Ice T remains O.G.

Prince – If I Was Your Girlfriend b/w Shockadelica 12”
Along with Michael Jackson, Prince was on high rotation during my childhood. It’s funny how those innocent ears took it all in without much comprehension. It was always the sound that appealed most. I had never heard the B-side ‘Shockadelica’ before. It seems a little lost in direction, and it’s probably the first B-side on this blog that hasn’t been all that great. Maybe my ears still need to grow to fully appreciate this one for more than just odd sounds.

Shalamar – Friends.
“How many of us have them? Friends!” This is one Solar act that I didn’t have until now. This 1982 release is still quite disco. It has taken a few listens but I can dig this one. The keys are subtle and the bass heavy. There is this one part of a song I want to loop up so bad. But it’s already soo good as it is, it’d kinda be cheating. I have been fooling around with some of the shittier recs I’ve got just to get my dollar’s worth. Will not be buying for a while, so my next post might feature some loops of fury instead.

Keep being cheap bastards. Peace!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment