Four Crates: Episode Nine

Great googley moogley it's been a while. The four crates are still waiting to be emptied and catalogued so I best be getting on with the show...

Various - Electro Vol. 8



I'm partial to a bit of electro. I was hoping I could get some hand claps and synths to sample off this but the whole thing is a continuous mix. There are some great tracks on here but my absolute favourite would have to be this:



This will be going in the chuck out pile. Cause.

Various - RTR Volume. 1

When I was going through a big indie/electro phase (CSS-era electro, that is) I happened upon this LP. There's a lot of garbage on here but the stand out for me was 'Do You Wanna Funk' by Sylvester. That song goes off. I'm praying The Twelves have done a remix or something. But when I listened to it last night I realised it had 'Send Me An Angel' by Real Life on it. Love that song too! I'm going to keep this for those two songs. Is that cheating?





(Ol' Jay Electronica with the blonde hair going off).

The Cruse Family - The Best Of



More gospel heat on the Day Spring label. The Cruse family, from my understanding, are not an actual family but a few people with the surname Cruse and some session musicians I guess. Anyways, this was bound to have something sampleable on it and I managed to make this:






(Peace to Aesop)

Peaches & Herb - 2 Hot


Everyone and their dogg has made a song using this album. It's an absolute cracker. 'Reunited' is my favourite jam. I sing along to that when it comes on the radio. I flipped it for the Brown Tape (ask -M about it). Anyways, I made a couple more beats off it just to make a point to myself that it's a definite keeper:










Harry Belafonte - Calypso

In my house there are three records that get play any day of the week: Paul Simon's Gracelands, the Dangerdoom album and Harry Belafonte's Sings Of The Caribbean. If you're unfamiliar with the last one, do yourself a favour and cop. It has such hits as Scratch Me Back, Judy Drownded and the rest of it. I won't lie though, a lot of his other albums are not my cup of tea. I try to pick up any that I find to see if I can expand my collection. So far I have 'Sings The Blues' and this one, 'Calypso'. Man it is a doozy! Very stoked with this one. Not only listening shelf bound, but probably going to be scone making music for the next few Sundays.

Danny Kortchmar - Kooteh

I was convinced I picked this one up in an opp shop but when I pulled the record out of the sleeve it had my Aunty's initials on it which means -M gave it to me in the great Nelson St clean-out. I don't know what his criteria was back then but most of the things I got of him have been sample gold. Anyways, this one has got a stack of great blues rock and a few samples I was able to pull. This is a sample I was playing with. The drums in the background were a bit hectic but I was too lazy to separate the stereo tracks, so here you have it:






Various - Bush Singalong

This is basically like the New Zealand version of the Aussie Folk Songs record I wrote about a few weeks back. Awesome New Zealand accents, funny songs and dope cover art. All wrapped up into a fine Kiwi record. This one is going straight to the pool room.


Also included in this lot were two 12" singles that I found at the weirdest place. One is a white label which someone has written "Slow" on one side and "Bum Face" with a drawing of a bum and a face (helpfully) on the other. Amazing! The other one is, what would've been, Gay House but in this day and age, with the UK Funky scene it's pretty great. In an ironic way.



Well, that's all for now. Thanks for your interest.

2 comments:

  1. I like a bit of electro, in small doses. Also I was looking at a disco compilation today, but too many tracks per side is not a always a good thing. Also I noticed in most of the disco comps the songs are all one continuous mix.

    Harry Belafonte is the man. Jump in the line!
    Dude was an outspoken activist against apartheid.

    Glad some of those recs i gave keep on givin. No qualms with them going to a good home. There's an ear for every record. Except Kamahl, his listeners are probably all death, i mean deaf by now.

    Them beats is bad ass. Cruse is smooth, a well picked sample. been reading alot of interviews with beat makers lately, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite smart to look at the grooves. I know I try to avoid the Solid Gold volumes for the fact that they tracks are all squashed together. But looking for a continous mix? Genius really.

    I read up on Harry Belafonte a while ago. Seems like a lovely guy. Very much a pioneer. What I find interesting is that he is an ardent critic of Obama's. Interesting because it's interesting.

    Yup, those records are a winner, my friend. I hope to repay the favour one day :)

    Thanks for the comments re the beats. I feel like I've finally figured out how to make beats that sound like how they are in my head. It's been a 7 year journey with the MPC but I finally have it.

    Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete