Market Zero

What a loverly day in the neighbourhood. Markets were vibe’n the other day, everyone seemed to be in a good mood. There were more records than I could afford to buy.

First stop: Soundtracks galore.
The Big Chill.
Soo many good songs on this one. Have not seen the movie, but have heard and read good quotes taken from it. Such as this one.

Good Morning Vietnam.
Doesn’t hurt to have two copies of this.

Breakdance 2 Electric Boogaloo.
I image this is the equivalent to recent movies like ‘Step It Up’. I haven’t seen it, but just judging from the stills on the back, and the lyrical content, it’s about a girl from Beverly Hills who falls in love with a guy from the rough side of town. Then there's sexy dancin'. Side one is a bit scratchy but side two all good.

Second stop: ‘80s ‘80s ‘80s.
I’m sure the guy running this stall was Taika Waititi incognito. Like just grown a beard and mustache, wearing a beany and ruggedy cloths, But I was too focused on the records he had to take much notice. I know Taika is big on his 80s music. Hmm...
I did a lousy job deciding what to get. And one I really wanted, the guy felt he needed to take it home for another listen before parting with it, I can understand that. He said he might bring it back next week. Got these 12s:

General Public – Faults and All.
Yeah nahh. Sounds a little like Talking Heads, but only Talking Heads should sound like Talking Heads. Taken from the motion picture ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’. Crispy, you could’ve prevented me buying this garbage, surely! And same with the next…

M.C. Miker “G” & Deejay Sven – Celebration Rap
(I knew this was going to be bad, still I got it.) It’s tolerable, and their flow on the B-side track is actually kinda cool. This Dutch duo’s corny song made its way into this youtube sensation.

Suzy Q – Shake It Up Shake Your Body b/w Come Let’s Have A Party.
This one wasn’t disappointing. Released in 1982, this is probably at the tail end of the disco era. Again, the B-side is the better side, this one is super funky, but at 7’08 minutes, I gotta learn to beat mix.

This LP:

The Tremeloes – Even The Bad times Are Good, Silence Is Golden.
These guys rip it up. But all I really need from them is their song ‘Instant Whip’, which I still continue to hunt for a copy that is not scratched to bits. Some good numbers on here though, such as Cool Jerk, “give the drummer some!”

Annd these 7s:

Phyllis Nelson – I Like You.
This one has sentimental value. It’s pretty techno for 1985.

Millie Scott – Prisoner of Love b/w Prisoner of The Groove.
‘Prisoner of The Groove’ is a groovier instrumental of the A side, with added bongos and handclaps.

Full Force – Alice I Want You Just For Me.
I don’t know why I keep buying Full Force. Not only are they corny, but they know they are corny. So the jokes on me. This could make its way into a set or the sales bin. Will see.

Princes – I’ll keep On Loving You.
Interesting story behind this one and its New Zealand connection. I like the instrumental. I wonder what the story is behind the 1980s and its love of geometrics.

Klymaxx – I Miss You b/w Video Kid
I do have already this, but this copy isn’t as scratched up. Again the B-side kills it! I sing it all day long. And again, Solar magic.

Third stop: Haggle styles.

Buzzcocks – A Different Kind of Tension
Its a bit of alright. Thought someone else might appreciate it more, but apparently this one doesn’t have the good songs on it.

There you go. If i didn't buy this crappy lot, and food, i would've had enough to buy a bad ass looking ghetto blaster i saw there. maybe next time.

3 comments:

  1. There is a very real danger that I may have encouraged you to buy the General Public record. The guys from that band were previously in The Beat (English 1980's ska) which I use to love.

    I haven't heard that version of Cool Jerk. I love that song - especially he Georgie Fame version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    Crispy, you don't like The Beat anymore? I have one of their albums that I yoinked from my Dad and it's awesome.

    -M, I love The Big Chill soundtrack. I only wish it had dialogue on it, including the sample used on the Cannibal Ox album. Great score.

    For some reason I think I might have Instant Whip. It rings a bell. Did it come out on 45? Cause it's possible I have it. Will have to check for you.

    That Millie Scott cover art is beautiful. Well done Mr Art Director.

    Full Force looks like six 50 Cents standing in a row. Yeeeeow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $1Pies - Tremeloes' 'Instant Whip' is the B-side to '(call me) Number One' i do believe, and yeah on the ol 45. man if you do have it!!! I can't imagine you'd want to part with it.

    I don't actually have the sleeve for the Millie Scott :(

    Lol at the 50 cents comment. that's 3 dollars right there!

    Cripy King - i can't find a Georgie Fame version online to listen to :(

    ReplyDelete