Four Crates: Episode Ten

Howdy team. Man it's been a while. You've been in the back of my mind but I had been flat tack with the release of my EP. So my updates may be few and far between for the next few whiles. Rest assured I haven't picked up any new records in a while but the four crates stay calling me. Let's go!

The Mace Brothers - The Mace Brothers

Australian Gospel cheese at its best. Some good samples to grab on this. Chapel Records is a new one on me but I have to keep an eye out for them. I made these two beats with my youngest, Otto, on my lap so both of the beats have been named by him: Naughty Song & My Mirror.



T-Connection - T-Connection

I've had this for the longest time and only really kept it for a vocal sample at the very start of the record, but I thought I better give it another go. Managed by Don Taylor, T-Connection where making misleading funk music straight out of Florida on this one. Just when you think there's going to be some ill funk breaks and liner notes breaking down their astrological signs, you get bummed out. Still, I managed this one:



Carol O'Halloran - Jazzercise

I kept this because it has the instruction booklet, a poster and an order form for the leotards. How can you not love that? Plus Carol is getting down on the cover (3rd pose on the right is me after eight Mac's Gold and some Jefferson Starship songs). Love the Kiwi accent. I wanted to file it away so I had to make something. This is pretty wack but it still counts. Right? It still counts?



Andrae Crouch & The Disciples - Take the Message Everywhere

Yo, take the message EVERYWHERE, son. EVERYWHERE. When you see black men on the front of a Light Record LP you think "This could really be something!". Gospel style gospel and maybe a Motown session band brought in to help out? Man, anything is possible. Think of the coolest this album could be, OK got it? It's about a 7 out of that. 7/Imagined 10. In other news, the 'Auto Smile Recognition' function on the camera had a field day with this cover.



Yeom Kwang - Singing Mission


I've used this before and thus, I'm allowed to keep it. But I was needle-dropping it and picked out two good samples. The one used below and another one that seemed like some sort of Kanye West joint but it requires a lot of hard work. Another time. For now, check out this beat. The sample is reversed and I named it 'Eesop' like some sort of Dilla trick where he makes you think the sample is saying 'Player'. Legend.




Nice one. Thanks for your time. I'll be back. Not soon, but when I do, there'll be some new beats and pieces. Many thanks to my fellow Dollar Branders for keeping things going.

1 comment:

  1. "hip hop is... making something outa nothing/ like chicka boom bap, a dj cutting.." -Akbar

    nice tacks, Naughty Song was cool, as was the Jizzersize. 8 mack golds dance work out.

    I played Andre Crouch preaching in the last set i did.
    Great write up!
    -m

    ReplyDelete