+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Diggin' at an "antique fair" which turns out is a large room at the Avondale racecourse which they open up every couple of weeks. Some cool stuff as far as collectables go, and pretty fairly priced. Soo much i would've liked to buy, but i still gotta have money to eat, heh.

(not my photo) Deane Waretini - Waretini.
I got a weak spot for New Zealand records. I'll often pick up ones i haven't heard before out of curiosity. Most times i'm disappointed, and in the case of this one, a lil, but not much. its got a couple of great tracks on it.
(not my photo) Picked this one up for the same reason as the last. On the back cover it states it "may have well been called "Go Modern Maori"". This one is a keeper, highlights include nice horns to sample, and this track:

(i couldn't find an image for the album i got, and my camera skills are really bad, so this cover is a stand in). Amral's Trinidad Cavaliers Steel Orchestra - Latin In Steel.
I picked this one up because i can't get enough of those steel drums at the moment. But i got more than i hoped for with this album. My advice for anyone diggin' for gold, pick up any of Amral's albums and you will strike it rich (not financially speaking, i haven't looked into that). After listening to this album twice in a row, i looked on the web to hear what other magic they had made, and hot damn! These guys are on my must find list for real. See if you can find their songs "90% of me is you" and their cover of "The World Is A Ghetto" and you'll see what i'm talking about. On the album i picked up this was one of the gems on it:

  
I've gone blank to what Beastie Boys song sampled this. Anyone?

Vanilla Fudge - Vanilla Fudge.
You ever heard that crate diggin' anthem by Madlib/The Lootpack called 'Crate Diggin'? Well if not, go listen. If you have, then it might be of interest that it samples a song of this album. This was pretty beat up, but i decided it'd still be worth getting just to hear what it is. I'd have to say, it is... pretty fucking dope. A break-rock must have.
Yellow Man - One In A Million.
One in a million is the ratio to which i come across dubby reggae albums when i'm trawling. This 'one' is my new favourite, it probably will remain in a pile closest to the turntable for some lounge room dancing, or BBQ background. Reggae always puts me in a good mood, and hearing this album for the first time i was feeling soo high. If you don't have it, get it. I guarantee it 100% niceness.

Tom Tom Club - Close To The Bone.
They put the funky in Talking Heads. Then they left and started their own club which was first named the "No David Byrne Allowed Club" before a legal battle saw them become the Tom Tom Club. (I just made that up, but maybe some lazy person like myself will steel that "fact" and put it in their own blog, just like i stole most of the images in this blog).

There was one more, but i'm outta time.

3 comments:

  1. Steel drum sample used in Body Movin' from Hello Nasty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i think thats the one bro. its quite subtle in the song. but its there. you get 10 points

    -M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What scores. Very Jealous.

    Yup, definitely Body Movin'. Great lift.


    Sorry I've been so slack on the bloggo. Got some stuff coming up this week to post hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete