",,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,'',,''

Sydney 2013
Just seems like yesterday I forgot to post this up. It is hard to post as much as you collect, or for them other fallas not to collect? Come now! That’s why this blogs getting more dust than the ‘Hooked on’ record series... [cricket chirps, person coughs, tumble weed passes by]


Got this digging in Sydney city map which was cool as. I will just conclude now that Real Groovy is better than all their record stores. And here are some of the records that made it home from Sydney:


Repressed Records

So the first store I made three $2 gambles. 1, Meh, 2,Meh, and 3, what a surprise!

Django Reinhardt - Djangologie 1936-1937
Everyone should have Django Reinhardt in their collection. DJ Ango. Fun and full of life. I was familiar with him playing some tunes like Tea For Two and had long ago made a mental note.
There’s a time and a place for listening to Django Reinhardt. This sweet song takes me to that time and place.
(The other two records were not worth a mention. I can’t find them either to mention them)


Revolve Records & Relics in Erskinenville (I think).

One of my favourite record stores during the trip. Dark and dingy with a funny and friendly shop  keeper. The records were a little unsorted and all over the place, which added to the dig. Some of the records had notes advising of what famous samples were on them. There was heaps of Jazz and sound library records.

Charles Mingus – Mingus Moves
This record is soo beautiful. Not a forced moment. An instant favourite in my collection. Highly recommended.

Roland Kirk – Here Comes the Whistleman
This one has some great banter between songs. I can play this twice both sides while cooking and then eating dinner and not once get tired of it or it. Puts me in a good mood like food.
Hurbert laws – Carrnegie Hall + Nina Simone – Baltimore.
Both live albums on CTI and both were cheap. Both have some pretty incredible moments on them. I know they deserve more writing, but I haven't heard either records in a while.

Chappell AV Series – Elements/Weather.
I wish I grabbed some more of these records. There are some tracks on here that evoke some pretty eerie feelings. It is all made digitally and the theme interpretations are not so literal. For example thunder storm was not made with some sheet metal cymbals and a rain stick.

Utopia Records maybe? I can’t remember.


Freddy Robinson – Black Fox
This one good for drinking a pilsner and cooking kingfish on the BBQ before six. You get some people around then ‘The Oogum Boogum Song’ comes on, then “heyy what’s happening brother!” All tried tested and certified. Orchestra arranged and conducted by Monk Higgins – remember that name. Joe Sample on piano.

Nina Simone – It Is Finished
I’ve never thought to watch a Nina Simone documentary, if there is one? I will look now. Oh here’s one. Wow the internet is quick. Not a bad doco, a bit dated though. Some great footage. I digested that doco that quicker than Johnny 5. Turns out the soon to be released biopic is pretty controversial (and Dr Dre is doing the soundtrack?) and there may be a more definitive documentary on the way.

I will eventually have all her records I’m sure. Because I can’t flick by one I don’t have and not buy it. Apparently the French have a few albums that only exist in French town. Funkier Than a Mosquito’s Tweeter is making chump of your game. She got disses (who want to battle?) and the percussion is nuts on this one.

People Choice Volume 1 – Various Artists
$5.00 all good. I don’t have as much reggae as I’d like. This one is from the 1980’s, when reggae went digital. That was a big turning point for the genre. Now days the roots styley has proven to persevere in popularity which is great. I was never big on the digital. But like all that goes round and comes round I now have a soft spot for the digital reggae, and the hits from that era are some of the hits from my childhood. This comp has both Sugar Minott and Horace Andy, two key selling points for me. Judging by the Word Enterprise record label this has all been done on the cheap.

Pigeon Ground Records

Don Pullen – Healing Force
Solo on the piano and amazing. This is some deep shit. Gets pretty emotional at times. I'm not smart enough to put it musical terms, but there are so many magical moments on this record that just....

Oscar Peterson – Return Engagement
You don’t often have to pay a lot for Oscar Peterson records because he was popular and prolific. This is a double album put out by Verve with some weird and interesting pattern and colour combos on the cover. Subtle Jazz with no saxophone for a J. Piano music. Woody Allen would put it on when he had company.

Lou Donaldson – Hot Dog
This album cover is quite distinctive and I have seen in pop up in waxpoetics articles a number of times.  I had never heard this album before and I purchased it on reputation and recognition alone. I hadn’t before associated blue note with this sound (I hadn’t heard tons of blue note though).  This is nearly all straight party jams, doesn’t take its self so seriously but is seriously tight and funky as hell. You will hear many famous samples on this, which is just an added bonus to the overall listening pleasure. The organ and drums alone… damn! I’m not big on the Sax but Lou keeps it in the pocket and holds back enough to make you want to hear him have his turn again. Gold.

Sheeba Baby
It was playing in another record store and I was like, “hey what is? can I buy it?” First time I’ve ever done that at a record store.  The answer was “sorry, this is my own copy, no you can’t buy it”. Then I found a reissue of it at Pigeon. Plays like hip hop. Just one break and gnarly loop after another. It’s got 30 second instrumental interludes between banging songs. You can picture this one in the movie, Pam Grier on some snooping around abandon warehouse or something.
Do you remember the name Monk Higgins? Well he arranged this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment