-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_


WHK
I went into the op shop on my lunch break to buy my little brother (who handles my records like he does his clean folded washing) some items for his ball. Eyes doing a quick pass over the records expecting to see the usual suspects… then, what the.. Byrd’s Word? Is that a Donald Byrd record!?
It is too! Who died and left this to the Hospice? I didn’t want to even think where the rest of the collection ended up.



Errol Garner – That’s My Kick

This is my kick too! Dude can play a piano like he was conceived, born and raised on it. Great back up ensemble with bass, drums guitar annnd bongos! Nice version of Blue Moon. Throughout the record Garner (I assume) makes unusual noises while he plays. It’s hard to describe, but if I was to try I’d say, like a goat. So happy with this record.

Lennie Tristano (London Records Jazz Series)
This piano player gets deep. So many moods. Little brother played his drums along to it which added to the listening experience. One of the tracks that made me stop and rewind selectah was Turkish Mambo.

Donald Byrd – Byrd’s Word (London Records Jazz Series)
From 1955 it has had few scratches along the way but still very listenable. Hats off to Rudy Van Gelder the noted engineer and Ozzie Cadena the “supervisor”, because this recording sounds amazing. Byrds trumpet resonates all over this record. This record makes me, and I imagine like people at the time, pretty excited about jazz. And that statement is nerdy as, but I’m placing an order for a new number plate ‘JAZZFAN’ to out nerdy it.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet – Jazz Goes to College
This is a lesson in timing. Impeccable timing. Don’t sleep on Brubeck. Jazz records have the longest sleeve notes. Always someone laying it down as I am now but getting all philosophical. I’m sure these sleeve notes could have been submitted as an essay to any of the university Brubeck played at on this record.

Listen Move & Dance
These kind of series can be hit or miss. But damn. There are some far out arrangements on here and some unique recording techniques. I’m dancing away like a little girl, then the record takes a very odd turn. One minute I’m doing the brise, en dehors, and pirouetting, the next I’m doing my alien space krump. I really need to upload a recording of it for you.

Artie Kaplan – Confessions of a Male Chauvinist Pig.
This is Artie’s concept record. Hear him go through all the stages of a divorce like a musical. Now one thing I didn’t notice until I got this record home was that Bernard Purdie is on drums. Sadly Artie didn’t realise that either and Pretty Purdie never gets to shine. Some funny and interesting moments on this record. But overall self-pity doesn’t make for good listening.

The Tahitis - Hawaii
Is what it is.

The Love Unlimited Orchestra  - White Gold.
B-Dubs produces, conducts and arranges like no other. Steady slammin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment