≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥≤≥


Tauranga

I got these records all at the one op-shop in Tauranga. One of the dear ol ladies working there invited me out the back to look through some of the crates they didn’t have room for in the store. I love it when that happens. When I took them up to the counter to pay, a small circle of people gathered around me all asking "do you have a record player?" as if it they were now the rarest thing on earth. "Yes, yes I do"  "wow, did you hear that he's got a record player"
First crate, second record, Miles Davis. Tauranga has heaps of jazz heads, but I never thought I’d come across Miles Davis in an op shop. I was so restricted for time there was no liner note looking and I pulled out these 24 records at glance. I hate to think what I missed. Most of these records are from the collection of John R Kingi, as is written on them.
I have ordered these in groups of 6 from the ones I was least excited about listening to, to the ones I wanted to throw on the turntable right away.
 



Buddy Holly 20 Golden Hits.
I already have this record. This is surplus for trading. I L.O.V.E his version of ‘Bo Didley’.
 
Dolly Parton’s 16 Biggest Hits
Fewer hits than Buddy, but 20 songs is too many for a record. She does have big.. hits. I DJ’d with a ‘Dolly Party’ and ‘Tina Turntables’ and had wished I had a wittier name, like, umm... ‘Chubby Mic Checker’ - hey that’s not bad! 
 
DD Smash – The Optimist
I struggle with Sir Double D. Full respect, but its hard work listening some times. This record would be more suited in the context of the year it was released. It sounds as pro as anything else that came out in the pop world at that time. ‘Whaling’ will always be brilliant, and What a Day has got some funk.
 
I Can Hear It Now. Winston Churchill
Nice packaging with a flip book of large photos inside. The narrator takes us on a chronological guide, and puts in context, one recorded Churchill quote to another. Dude loved his cigars and always looked boss.
 
David Frost – That was the week that was
Do you guys watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver? Well there are strong parallels between these two guys. Both started in England doing political satire then moved to the U.S.A to host TV shows. Listening to this record is a lot like listening to The Bugle podcast. That’s as much effort I’ll make to draw parallels. “That was the week that was” is a grammatically funny tittle.
 
Werner Muller plays Leroy AndersonI don’t know why this one made the pile. But 24 recs for 10 bucks it don’t matter. I think the song titles hinted at potential. “A Trumpeter’s Lullaby” “The Syncopated Clock” Jazz Pizzicato” “Forgotten Dreams”. MMMMmmmmmmMeh. I got so many records I don’t need this one.

 

Llyod Whitaker – Listen Lovers
This one I was intrigued by and was confident there would be something cool about it even though Llyod looks like a nerd on the back. NZ guy from the ‘Naki, came up playing regular gigs at the Devon Motor Lodge. He and his electronic accordion probably never went further than that. You need an organ? This record can be the donor. Not a lot to it, but one or two small “moments”.

Charles Aznavour – Sings
English is not Charles’ first language. I’m sure he’d sound way better signing in French. But here he sounds ridiculous singing in English and the lyrics are sad and pathetic. I used to like like French girls. But when you finally realise that even the most ordinary French girl’s accent is sexy and exotic, it all seems like a con. Does translating these songs into English reveal that he's a con? Yes and No. As the album title clearly states he “Sings”. And that is true. True like I sing, and drunk people sing.

Jimmy Durante - The Very Best Of
Ha ha ha. This guy is ol timey funny. People are not funny like this no more. A comically gruff voice over a quirky big band type orchestra with songs called ‘A-Razz-A-Ma-Tazz’ and ‘I’m A Vulture For Horticulture’. So many funny words that are never used anymore. Mukluk.

The Nine O’Clock Theatre Production – Beyond The Fringe ‘64
Alan Bennett, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Paxton Whitehead. More Comedy. Some classic gags re America and England and genuine studio audience laughter. I was laughing too.

The Insane (But Hilarious) Minds of Coyle and Sharpe.
The masters of the “put on”. These comedic yanks approach unsuspecting (but serious) people on the street and start funny conversations, like trying to convince someone to come along to a cannibal ritual, or sell germs wholesale. At one point they make trumpet noises with their mouths. I love doing that.

The Adventurers – Can’t Stop Twisting
A cash in album on popular trends for sure. I doubt The Adventurers named themselves. This album is rockin’ in every way tho and the vocal doo whopping and what notting keep it hip. One of the songs is called “You’re A Teenager Now”. Thank you marketing.

 

The Real Ambassadors – An Original Musical Production by Dave and Iola Brubeck
Mixed feelings on this one. I’m not too into musicals. And I’m not sure about the themes, some weird patriotic / export the jazz? Maybe I’m wrong on that. Carmen McRae and Louis Armstrong are good in small doses. I don’t know who your wife is, but she may be making some bad calls.
 
The Limelitters – Folk Matinee
This is the type of shit you buy not knowing what it is, then learn from that. Its nearly all bad. The track “Funk” is quirky (and misleading), but a fun little number.
 
Georgia Brown – Self Titled
The opening track “Why Was I Born” sets the tone on this album. The rest of the tracks reaffirm that question.  A lady sings dramatically over jazzy arrangements. Summed up.

Dave Brubeck Quartet – Tonight Only
Three records ago I was disappointed with the outcome of The Real Amabassadors. This album I’m sold by track one, drum solos and all. Easy brah, keep it simple and play that damn piano. McCrae only makes a guest appearance, so in small doses, all g.
 
Sergio Mendes & Brasil ‘66 – Crystal Illusions
Mendes was a big seller. So his records are in all op-shops. Haven’t seen this one around too often though. I really like this album. The title track is trippy, and they do an upbeat version of The Dock Of The Bay which is as you know is a real downer (but beautiful) song.
 
George Benson – The George Benson Collection
Double album with full colour booklet insert. Smoooooooth.

 

Duke Ellington – Piano in the background.
I don’t need to say Ellington is the greatest because it’s a known fact right? I do prefer the quintets quartets sextets and other tets to the big bands and orchestras. But I trust this guy fully. An interesting biography about him that has been analysed and tuned into the best of excerpts can be read here.

Pete Jolly and Ralph Pena – Impossible
I was sold on the stripped back Bass & Piano combo (the two piece White Stripes of the day). I have not come across anything on MGM’s Metro Jazz label before. I like this sort of music when I’m reading. You can drift in and out of it easy enough. I do feel pretty corny though, like I’m on some highbrow jazz & literature diet. But i’ll have you know that my other interests include ceramics, subtitled films, sculpture, wine, annnnnd Rugby League.
 
J.J Johnson Quartet – A Touch of Satin
This album was produced by Teo Macero who also produced the Miles Davis album, and Miles named a song after him. Very few notes on this album sleeve but from what I can tell Cannonball Adderley is involved and Sam Jones kills it on Bass. To borrow a turn of phrase from Johnson off the back off this cover about the listening experience: “To say the least, I enjoyed the experience the most”.

Miles Davis Sextet – Someday My Prince Will Come
John Coltrane, Hank Mobley, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb. I’ve never gone out of my way to buy a Miles Davis record because I knew they would always be available when I wanted. This record came to me. Recorded in Manhattan by Columbia, manufactured and distributed in NZ, purchased at ‘The Record Inn’ in Gisborne, travelled to Tauranga, then home to me. All over a life span of 53 years. The prince has come. That was Mile’s wife on the cover. Seems the NZ cover cut the photo of her so her dress would not show? Hm.

Jimmy Winser Trio – Appreciation.
So the cover art is inspired by Piet Mondrian, ‘Appreciation’ looks to be spelt in phonetics¿ and there’s a small photo of a slick looking young (turns out he was 28) nerd. That + “trio” and you know this album is going to be good. And it is. It is some hip slick sophisticated mellow-out shit for your penthouse with its minimalist decor.
 
Toshiko Mariano Quartet
On the Candid label. Tohshiko Akiyosho Mariano (piano) and Charlie Mariano (alto sax) share last names because they are (or were?) married. A female capital J Jazz player? It is impossible to notice any gender in the playing so it means nothing, but Jazz seems like a manz world so you do stand out. This record is tight. The song Little T is pretty amazing (I can't find a link sorry). A great match these two. I’m looking them up now to see if their marriage lasted… …. …    Nope. It did not.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I enjoyed this. Op shop vinyl is fun vinyl. I once came across Elvis's entire catalogue at 50c each. Elvis Christmas ahoy. Perhaps you could direct me to some of the finer points in the small haul of Coltrane and Charlie Parker I acquired as part of a box purchase. Stay cool, PC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. Yip this blog is all about low budget record collecting. Nothing quite as fun like spending near nothing on something that turns out to be a treasure. Sounds like you got a good score with the Coltrane and Charlie Parker records! I’m not sure what direction you need. Best things to look and listen for on Jazz records (as fellow Dollar Brand Contributor Krispy King taught me) is who the other guys (or gals See: Alice Coltrane) playing on the record are. You’ll soon see the names of the bass player or drummer popping up on other Jazz records which can help you make a call if the record is for you (based on how you like them) and what it might sound like. Also make note of the date and the record labels their on. Often labels become associated with a particular sound, and the date will also clue you to the sound of that era.

    ReplyDelete