High on funky shoe fumes





I went strollin for some records the other week. That little outing could be summed up by the fact that I stood in some of that ol fashion footpath dog shit. Keep your chin up, spirits high, walk tall… yeahh, but then you won’t see that dog shit where your happy foot is about to touch down.

Picked this one from out of a box of Christian records, It stood out like a… well… like the odorous dog shit smell that was filling the room when I entered.

(shitty photos sorry, i am no a good a the techno yeah)
You can see why this one stood out. Firstly, it’s on Playboy records, and secondly the dude is holding a gun and yelling!?! It's a pretty bad ass record. They Goon affiliated (/in a motorbike gang or some shit). this track is a fav from it:


From the same day, and a lil closer to home, I picked up this wild card. The B-side is truly something special. It has some sexy 80s “saxa-ma-phone”, which in the past may have driven me to jam a sharp object in my ear. But today, it almost seems to be quite tasteful and not so overdone and all up in your face like the usuall… “IT’S SEXXY FUCKIN’ SAXAPHONE!! YOU LIKE THAT HA? OH YEAHHH!”

The Five Stars doing it Samoan Style. This is their first album from 1980 released on Kiwi Pacific’s Hibiscus Records.


From those blue shirts, to these blue shirts, another one from the Kiwi label – doing it bluegrass style. Now this is country music I can hoe down to! Some beautiful ballads. I think these guys are still performing.

I have one more I was going to post about. But might save that for another day and combine it with others of its kind. $1 records are ruley as, but remember, future classics can be purchased today! Support those who are pressing up, look after your records, and watch out for dog shit.

1 comment:

  1. Haha ohhhh the humanity! At least you weren't in bare feet, I guess.

    That Doc Kirby & Co looks pretty intersting. The cover art looks like they're hanging out at Satrioles from Sopranos. Pretty thugged out either way.

    Great cover art on the Julian Jonah. Nice of them to rip off the Massive Attack symbol. Your saxophone description totally somes up my feelings about that god-awful instrument. True story: M-People's manager was a saxophone player and that's why every song of theirs has a sax solo.

    The juxtapostion (that's a nerd term for difference) between the Samoans in the bush and the Yokels in the barn is outstanding! I have a Hamilton County Bluegrass Band LP and if I remember rightly, it has a song missing off the LP so they wrote a note and included a one-sided 45 with the song on it. Love it.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete