Four Crates: Episode Six

This was a weird batch. I guess I must have just shoved a bunch of records I liked or had already sampled into a random crate because each one of these are keepers ('All bangers, no clangers', a phrase I came up with the other day). I also didn't have time to make beats (if I hadn't already) nor give you snippets, but I'm sure if you're cunning with Google/Youtube you can sort yourself out. Walk with me...

Stereovox Sampler


Yeah this is first day stuff I guess. In fact it's probably one of the first records I ever bought when I started my own collection. Mainly for the sound effects: Civil Defence siren, Times Square crowd, Sonic Booms etc. But now I'm really holding on to it for the cover. I think if I saw this today I'd pick it up.

Peter Cook & Dudley Moore - Behind The Fridge


When Dudley Moore died I was picking apples in the South Island. For a week, Newstalk ZB played Dudley Moore bits and I was rolling in between the trees. Funny, funny dude. Anyhow, this was a definite pick-up for me, plus it's on Atlantic and I find that most stuff on Atlantic is great. If not, you know it's going to be heavy grade vinyl. A sample from this record is on one of the beats in Episode Five.

Parchment - Shamblygan


Shamblygan what the eff does it mean? It means Schooly D's got a loaded magazine. Myrrh are one of my favourite record labels for christian LPs. Myrrh were home to Amy Grant before she crossed over into popular music and they also put out the 2nd Chapter of Acts records (breaks for days). Their packaging is always well done, heavy grade card and the like. I'll have to post up my Nancy Honeytree collection one day for you to see for yourself. Anyhow, this record is highly recommended. If you can close your ears to the praise, you'll be treated to some great samples, a break here and there and some Feature02 original samples. Sidebar: Something weird going on with the three of them on that cover.

Jimmy & Carol Owens - Show Me! Jesus



Show me Jesus! Or Show me! Jesus. Either way, great design - you just know it's going to have samples on it. Which it does. Some great spoken word on this thing. It's a soundtrack to a musical (these can be goldmines for drum breaks [I guess the musical director wants to give the drummer some?]) and the whole premise is two Christians who want to convert the star quarter back and show him that Jesus is really cool and hip and happening. The drunken lout/jock friend making a mockery of Jesus is actually pretty funny but it's the instrumentation that is making me hold on to it.

Get By In French


I already have a beautifully presented box set of French lessons on the shelf but I had to keep this one just for the hilarious phrases that are used. It starts off with the usual "Hi, can you tell me where Gate 4 is please?" etc, but then starts getting seriously left field with some "Yes, your wife has put on weight hasn't she?". Just plain crazy. Also gets bonus points for having ambient noise and sound effects to add to the realism of the phrases. A definite keeper. Also beginning to find that MFP is a label I need to look out for.

Bert Kaempfert - A Swingin' Safari


For some reason my camera played up with this cover, but no worries as I'm sure you've seen this a billion times. I seem to find this all the time. I pulled this out of the crate and thought "Jeez! This must be heavy grade vinyl" as it weighed a tonne. Turns out it had three copies of the record in one cover. I've sampled this before when I was first making beats in Fruity Loops, so that's about seven years ago. I'm mostly keeping it for the happy African safari songs. Plus I like singing "In The Jungle" to my sons to annoy them. Do I recommend the record? It's not a must-have by any stretch, but certainly nothing to sniff at.


So there you have it. Bit light on the beats sorry. The next lot is pretty decent. Got some beats, some stories, an incredibly rare Barbara Streisand and a video to prove it.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried Christian records (Word, Myrrr and the like) before to no avail. You must have the magic touch - or someone is watching down on you from on high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must of been billions of records put out to show the magic of stereo. probably equal to Christian records to show the magic of Jesus.

    For a while i used to pick up recs like the Stereovox sampler. Most have got some cool stuff on them. i love the trains they often use. A very good use of stereo having a train roll through your house.

    One i picked up that was all spacey type noises, i decided i could live without it. At the record fair, a known collector picked it out to buy, i told him that it was warped and a lil beat up, but he wasn't hearing it. He paid without even checking the condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CK: Indeed. I guess the combination with the year and whether their are drums listed against the musician credits help. Maybe I should do a Top 10 Christian Records post?

    -M: Totally! The Quadrophonic ones can be pretty cool too. When played on regular stereo they sound strange.

    Would love to know what the spacey one was. I wish I had picked up one the other days that had different frequencies being played. I don't know why I didn't get it, but I totally regret it.

    See you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete